Did you know that safer houses can typically be insured for less? It makes sense when you think about it. Insurance providers are businesses, and therefore covering an unsafe house poses a big financial risk for multiple claims. Safer homes are less risky and insurance providers often reward conscientious homeowners with lower premiums. Make your home safer by following these tips:
- Install a security alarm system and/or outdoor motion-sensor lighting
- Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on each floor (a fire sprinkler system is a bonus)
- Never leave cooking food unattended and turn pan handles inward on the stovetop
- Store guns (unloaded), hunting knives and other weaponry in locked cabinets
- Install a high fence around your swimming pool and never let children swim unattended
- Reconsider that trampoline in your yard—they lead to thousands of injuries per year and insurance companies can refuse coverage to homeowners with trampolines
- Conduct an annual inspection/cleaning of fireplaces, chimneys and other heating systems to prevent winter fires
- Create a home inventory to streamline the repair/replacement of your possessions after a claimable event
Your independent agent is a great resource for homeowners insurance savings. Ask him or her what your insurance provider looks for in a safe home and what discounts you may qualify for. The key is asking! It’s not likely that you will be offered a discount, but if you ask, you may be surprised to find that you are already eligible for savings.
Start protecting your home and family today. Call Low Rate Insurance of Texas at (817) 635-0375 for more information on Arlington homeowners insurance.