Moving is no easy task. But luckily, there are a few tips and tricks to help you get organized so you can get the job done faster. Here are some of our favorite recommendations.
· Planning ahead: Most people go right from one apartment to the next, with little or no overlap. Plan ahead by having the utilities/cable turned on at your new place so it’s ready to live in when you get there. Also, stop by the post office and have your mail forwarded.
· Take measurements: Make an appointment at your new apartment complex so you can take measurements of the space. This will help you determine which pieces of furniture will fit and where.
· Find free boxes: Buying new boxes is expensive. Instead, call some local retailers and ask if you can have the boxes that their shipments arrive in. Many stores are happy to give them away for free. Furniture stores often have the best range of sizes, while liquor stores have small, sturdy boxes that are great for heavy breakables.
· Packing: Keep your boxes as room-specific as possible to make unpacking easier. But remember that sheets, blankets, socks etc. can be used as filler material for free rather than buying bubble wrap.
· Label the boxes: Each box should be labeled with a few key pieces of information. First, write the room it belongs it. Hint: You can also buy some colored duct tape so your bedroom boxes will be taped with blue, your kitchen boxes will be taped with red and so on. If the box is big enough, it’s a good idea to write what’s inside on the box. It’s also recommended that you write light, medium or heavy to make moving a smoother process.
· Get help: Offering your friends pizza and beer to help with a move may be enough for some folks. But make it easier on them by asking them to come in shifts, rather than spending the whole day performing manual labor. In an apartment, you only need a few helpers at a time anyway.
· Clean up: Spend some time cleaning your new apartment before unpacking. Wipe down the counters, cabinet shelves and dust your furniture that probably got dirty in the truck. That way, things will be ready to go once you unpack.
Don’t forget coverage to protect your belongings. Call Low Rate Insurance Agency at (817) 635-0375 for more information on Arlington renters insurance.